Regional committee blog
In the latest blog Chris Handy, Chair of the West Midlands Regional Committee, gives his views on managing the impact of welfare reform and exploring opportunities emerging from the health and social care agenda. The blog reflects the work undertaken by the committee and the current operating environment across the West Midlands.
Role of regional committees
The Federation's West Midlands regional committee is the democratically elected body that represents the Federation's members in the West Midlands. The committee meets four times annually to set a direction for the work of the team, respond to regional policy initiatives and feed into the development of Federation policy at a national level. In addition, committee members represent the Federation and its members at external events and at regular meetings with stakeholders. Specifically it sets out to:
- be the unified voice and focus for Federation members in the region
- give advice and guidance to officers of the Federation on policy and operational matters
- act as the channel for communication and consultation between the Federation and its members in the region
- uphold and promote the work and values of the Federation.
Key Priorities for the West Midlands are:
- Investment: Making the case for investment in housing in the West Midlands
- Welfare reform: Supporting members to adapt to the welfare reform agenda
- Localism/profile: Engaging with new regional and local stakeholders on housing issues in order to raise the profile of housing issues and housing associations in the West Midlands
Who we are
The West Midlands regional committee comprises a number of members from Federation member organisations, elected for a three-year term and permitted to sit for a maximum of three terms. A provision exits to co-opt. Committees elect their own chairs and are serviced by National Housing Federation officers.
Andy Ballard (Co-Optee)
Chair, Herefordshire Housing
Chief Executive, Severnside Housing
Chief Executive, Bromsgrove District Housing Trust
Jon Crockett (Co-optee)
Board Member, Heantun Housing Association
Chief Executive, Shropshire Housing Group
Diane Lea (Vice Chair)
Chief Executive, Staffordshire Housing Group
Customer and Communities Director, Midland Heart