Specialist housing and support


The specialist housing services available to older and vulnerable people

Federation members provide specialist housing and support for people with many different needs.  While the schemes and services are innovative and wide-ranging, the most common models are:

  • Supported housing – accommodation where support is provided for a specific client group. In some cases supported housing may offer transitional help to support people back into independence.
  • Extra care provides 24-hour, on-site care, such as help with washing and dressing and meals.  This type of housing is usually an option for older people.
  • Sheltered housing – self-contained properties with communal areas and a lower level of support.
  • Housing related support – additional services that help people live independently. These may be available to housing association tenants and other members of the community and could include anything from help with shopping to financial advice.

We have examples of how our members are making integrated housing, care and support work in practice in our publications Providing an alternative pathway and On the pulse and the Breaking the Mould report. We have also produced Housing in later life, a toolkit aimed at anyone planning or commissioning specialist housing for older people.