Head of Policy
Grenfell Programme Lead
2:30pm - 3:30pm,
15 January 2018
This event has now passed. Browse some of our other events.
Dame Judith Hackitt’s Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety has far-reaching implications for housing associations.
Focusing on all high-rise and complex buildings, including sheltered housing, in her interim report Dame Judith identified that the whole system of building regulation and fire safety is not fit for purpose.
Most notably the report signals the need for:
- a new system of regulation and enforcement specifically for high-rise and complex buildings
- better mechanisms for residents’ views to be heard and acted upon
- cultural and behavioural change, led by building owners and landlords and establishing clear lines of responsibility for ensuring safety
- a new accreditation system for those engaged in design, construction, inspection and maintenance of complex buildings
- a new approach to fire risk assessments in high-rise residential buildings, with assessments undertaken at least annually or when significant alterations are made, and shared with residents.
Dame Judith has urged all parties to start to make improvements that are within their gift as soon as they can. And in its next phase, concluding in the Spring, the Review Team will be seeking to define the new system.
To hear more about what the review means for housing associations and what we're doing to engage with the next phase of the review, join our webinar.
This webinar is open to National Housing Federation members only.
Prior registration is required and places are limited so please register your place as soon as you can.
All registrants will receive a recording of the webinar so if you're not able to join us on the day, it's still worth registering.