Find out about the changes in the new regulatory framework.
13 May 2012
The new regulatory framework took effect on 1 April 2012.
The framework is based on the previous Tenant Services Authority (TSA) framework but incorporates a number of important changes:
- It takes account of the abolition of the TSA and the new regulatory role of the HCA.
- It consolidates the interim changes made in 2011, especially the introduction of affordable rents.
- It provides for fixed-term tenancies to be available for new tenancies, regardless of the rent level.
- It takes account of the new test of 'serious detriment' that the regulator must consider before using its enforcement powers.
- It incorporates the revised directions by the Secretary of State.