Our submission focuses on the key challenges with the existing regime and key principles for a future, more effective approach.
17 October 2017
Given the importance of this topic, and the short timescales involved, our submission focuses on the key challenges with the existing regime, as identified by members, and key principles for a future, more effective approach.
Key proposals include:
- Strategic review and reform of the purpose, form and operation of Building Control
- A more robust Primary Authority Scheme between housing providers and Fire Authorities
- Standardised and higher quality Fire Risk Assessments
- A government convened permanent Building Safety Group
- Periodic review of key safety legislation and regulation
- Explicit consideration of how recommendations will influence the capacity and resources of relevant sectors.
Our submission emphasises that we wish this evidence to be the start of on-going and constructive engagement between the housing association sector and the review. If you are keen to be part of any future work in this area please let us know.
Thank you to those organisations who shared their views and contributed to this work.