Every year we publish a review of our finances, so you can see how we are performing, our financial drivers and objectives, and whether these are being met.
We are a not-for profit organisation with social purpose – each year we use our income to influence, campaign and engage on behalf of the social housing sector. You can read more about our services, and their impact. We aim, by operating efficiently, to make a small underlying surplus.
Our latest review of our 2019/20 finances highlights that:
- The outbreak of coronavirus in February and March had an impact on our overall finances. We ended the year with an underlying loss of £53,000 compared to a surplus of £288,000 in the previous year.
- Over two thirds of our income came from annual affiliation fees paid by our members. This totalled £8.2m, 0.5% above the previous year, in line with CPI.
- Over the last ten years, there has been a cumulative 29% real terms price reduction in affiliation fees, equivalent to a saving of £20.4m for our members.
- In many areas our administrative expenses have decreased, reflecting our commitment to cost savings and flexible working.
- Our net income from commercial services fell due to the postponement of our Housing Finance Conference in March, following the outbreak of coronavirus. However, our commercial services still contributed £2.29m.
- In response to the national postponement of in-person events, we rapidly revised the way we deliver our events by launching a programme of virtual conferences and meetings, and hope to deliver in-person events in early 2021.
- Looking ahead, the impact of the coronavirus crisis will means we are moving through a period of sustained change, but our work to support the housing association sector to deliver its social purpose has never been so important. We will continue to work hard even in challenging circumstances to deliver the impact and value that our members need.
Overhead costs breakdown 2019/20
To find out more, download our Financial Review briefing, or download our audited Financial Statements.
You can also access previous years of financial information below.
Financial Statement for year ending March 2019
Financial Statement for year ending March 2018
Financial Statement for year ending March 2017
Financial Statement for year ending March 2016
Financial Statement for year ending March 2015
Financial Statement for year ending March 2014
Financial Statement for year ending March 2013
Financial Statement for year ending March 2012
Financial Statement for year ending March 2011
Financial Statement for year ending March 2010
Financial Statement for year ending March 2009