What leaseholders can do to help

We understand that many leaseholders must feel powerless in this frustrating situation. There are however some really valuable actions you can take help us call for more government support.

Contacting your mortgage provider

If you are unable to access mortgage finance, speak to your lender. For people looking to remortgage, or buy a flat in a property to which the EWS1 form should not apply, it could be worth raising this point with your lender. The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors guidance sets out which buildings an EWS1 should apply to. However, your lender will still ultimately have the discretion over whether or not they want an EWS1 form to progress your mortgage application.

Contacting your MP

Your MP is there to represent your issues to the government, by raising them in Parliament. A number of MPs across different parties have been calling on the government to resolve the EWS1 issue and provide further funding for remedial works so that leaseholders don’t have to pay unfair bills. By writing to your MP, you can add your voice to help ensure that the issue is given due attention by the government. You can find out who your MP is by visiting theyworkforyou.com and entering your postcode into the search tool.

Contacting the media

Many national news outlets are reporting on people struggling to sell their home as a result of not being able to obtain an EWS1, particularly where the building is one that shouldn’t require the form, as well as the unaffordable bills they might be facing for remedial work. It helps journalists to keep a story in the news if they have a new angle to it, and one such angle could be different personal circumstances. You could either directly contact a journalist who has written about the story, or submit a letter to an editor setting out your views.

Joining campaign groups

There are lots of campaign groups that have been established in recent months to raise awareness of the issue or press the government for further action. UK Cladding Action Group is a nationwide group for leaseholders in buildings with combustible cladding and there are some regional cladding action groups too. The best way to contact these groups is on social media.

Who to speak to

Victoria Moffett, Head of Building and Fire Safety Programmes