We’ve submitted a sector response to Dame Judith Hackitt’s review into fire safety and building regulations. In it we endorse her call for cultural change across the industry, offer the sector’s expertise to help bring it about, and make some calls on the Government.
1 August 2018
The National Housing Federation welcomes Building a Safer Future: the final report of the independent review of building regulations and fire safety, on behalf of our members. In this response we:
- Welcome and endorse the identified need for cultural change across the industry.
- Make an offer to government on behalf of the sector to share our experience and expertise regarding resident engagement and transparency, and to pilot the proposals for a safety case file and new Gateway Points in the development process.
- Call on the Government to:
o Continue cross industry working, demonstrate leadership when responding to report recommendations, and provide clear timelines and consideration of the financial impact of a new regulatory system.
o Ensure the new regulatory regime
- sets out unambiguous definitions and application of the report recommendations
- is properly resourced, both financially and with adequate expertise
- ensures dutyholders have appropriate powers to allow them to fulfil their responsibilities
- seeks sector consultation regarding application to existing buildings
- leads root and branch reform of testing and accreditation regimes.