Our member briefing on the Interim Report of the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety provides a summary of the key findings, recommendations, the response from the Government and the Federation, and an overview of the next steps.
20 December 2017
This review is a pivotal moment for the future of all building development and management, in both the private and public sectors.
Most notably the report signals the need for:
- a new system of regulation and enforcement specifically for high-rise and complex buildings
- better mechanisms for residents’ views to be heard and acted upon
- cultural and behavioural change, led by building owners and landlords and establishing clear lines of responsibility for ensuring safety
- a new accreditation system for those engaged in design, construction, inspection and maintenance of complex buildings
- a new approach to fire risk assessments in high-rise residential buildings, with assessments undertaken at least annually or when significant alterations are made, and shared with residents.