The Spring Budget provides an opportunity for the government to create jobs, boost the economy and improve people’s lives by building back safer, better and stronger.
We can do this by making our homes safe and secure, ensuring the sector can build the new affordable homes our key workers need, meeting the UK’s sustainability and climate challenges, spreading opportunity across the country and supporting those who have been hardest hit by the virus.
In this budget, the government should:
- Make sure everyone can feel safe in their home by providing further funding for remedial works (related: Our response to Robert Jenrick's building safety funding announcement, 10 February 2021)
- Deliver a fast-acting economic and social stimulus by giving housing associations the confidence and certainty to deliver ambitious house-building plans.
- Create thousands of jobs and tackle the climate crisis by delivering a retrofit revolution in the social housing sector.
- Spread prosperity and level up the country through the renewal of cities, towns and communities, with housing at the centre.
- Provide the support and opportunities people deserve, through a fair and effective support and welfare system, long-term funding for supported housing and funding for homeslessness prevention. This will help people into better homes that meet their needs, alleviate homelessness and deliver savings to the NHS and social care budgets.