The Government announced an independent review of building regulation and fire safety on 26 July 2017.
Led by Dame Judith Hackitt, it looked at current building regulations and fire safety with a particular focus on high-rise residential buildings. More specifically the review team was tasked to:
- map the current regulatory system (ie, the regulations, guidance and processes) for new and existing buildings through planning, design, construction, maintenance, refurbishment and change management
- consider the competencies, duties and balance of responsibilities of key individuals within the system in ensuring that fire safety standards are adhered to
- assess the theoretical coherence of the current regulatory system and how it operates in practice
- compare this with other international regulatory systems for buildings and regulatory systems in other sectors with similar safety risks
- make recommendations that ensure the regulatory system is fit for purpose with a particular focus on multi-occupancy, high-rise residential buildings.
- The Government’s response to the Hackitt Review, 18 December 2018. The Government has published its roadmap to delivering the recommendations from Dame Judith Hackitt’s Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety.
- Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety – our response to the final report, 1 August 2018. We’ve submitted a sector response to Dame Judith Hackitt’s review into fire safety and building regulations. In it we endorse her call for cultural change across the industry, offer the sector’s expertise to help bring it about, and make some calls on the Government.
- Government announcement on implementing Hackitt Review, 19 July 2018. The Government has announced a pilot of the review recommendations and has published a consultation on the key fire safety guidance document.
- Hackitt Review briefing, 22 May 2018. This short guide for Federation members summarises the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety final report.
- Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety Interim Report: briefing, 20 December 2017. Our member briefing on the Interim Report of the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety provides a summary of the key findings, recommendations, the response from the Government and the Federation, and an overview of the next steps.